Have the toned arms it is the goal of many people who exercise frequently. However, to achieve this you need constancy, a good diet and, of course, perform the appropriate exercises using the weight indicated according to our abilities. If you are not sure what your allies are to have the arms you always wanted, then pay attention, because in this OneHowTo article we will explain to you what they are the best exercises to strengthen your arms, activities that can also help you achieve it, and some basic recommendations when it comes to training.
Push-ups, an essential classic
The push-ups they are one of the best exercises to strengthen your arms because we work with various muscle groups, we train with the weight of our own body and we are also able to enhance aspects such as resistance and balance. When performing this exercise we involve the following muscles:
- Pectorals or chest
- Deltoids or shoulders
We must take maximum care of the posture to ensure that we are performing the exercise properly. In the case of beginners, they can lean on their knees or use a fitball so that the effort is less. It is recommended to perform 4 sets of 15 reps each, if it’s too much for you, start with 10 repetitions.
Also check out our article on how to stretch after doing push-ups.
Dumbbell press for toned arms
Just like push-ups, the dumbbell press it is a complete exercise that helps us to work on different muscle groups: the middle and anterior deltoids, the pectoralis major, the triceps and the dorsal, strengthening these areas and favoring our resistance.
The dumbbell press it can be done sitting on the bench, lying with the back slightly tilted or standing. With the arms flexed up and at chest level, we must raise them above our head by joining the dumbbells and then return to the starting position. You can start with 4 sets of 10 repetitions each and work your way up over time.
It is important to choose a weight that we feel comfortable with, but that at the same time helps us work the area, if we can do it very easily then we should slightly increase the pounds.
Bicep curl with barbell or dumbbells, simple and efficient
It is perhaps one of the most classic exercises for tone your arms, specifically working two muscles: the biceps and the deltoids. We can do with a barbell, the most comfortable way to curl biceps, or opt for two dumbbells, one on each arm. If you work with a lot of weight, it is recommended to use the dumbbells separately, exercising one arm first and then the other.
The exercise is very simple, it involves flexing your arms at waist level with the barbell or dumbbells in your hands and climbing up to your shoulders, as seen in the image. Start with 4 sets of 12 reps and increase as you gain resistance.
Rowing, an integral exercise
The rowing machine not only does it provide us with one of the best exercises to strengthen our arms, but it is also an integral activity that allows us to work on various muscle groups efficiently and with great results. When opting for rowing, we work back muscles such as the trapezius and the broad back, in addition to muscles in the arms such as the dorsal and the major round.
It is important that when doing the rowing we have the back very straight, the chest slightly out and the abdomen in, the proper posture to work the areas involved. Choose the right weight for you, that allows you to work with effort, but without getting tired soon; perform 4 sets of 15 reps.
Exercising triceps with dumbbells or pulley
Exercising the triceps it is important if you want to get strong and toned arms, so you should not miss this small but important muscle. Activities such as push-ups will help you work them out, but there are also specific exercises for the area that are highly recommended. In our article triceps exercises we share with you the best activities to be able to develop this zone and tone your arms.
Activities that help you strengthen your arms
Among the best exercises to strengthen your arms, we should not neglect some sports or specific classes that can help you achieve your purpose in a different way and, in some cases, with the guidance of a professional. Therefore, we recommend you to complement these exercises with practices such as:
- Play basketball
- Take classes body pump
- Take classes body combat
Recommendations to strengthen your arms
If your goal is tone your arms and make them strong and healthy, so it is important to take into account some basic recommendations:
- Take care of your diet, this will be just as important as physical activity. If you exercise but constantly eat sweets, fatty foods or unnutritious food, building the muscle you expect will be much more difficult. Follow a balanced diet, increase your protein intake and don’t forget vegetables and fruits.
- Do not exercise the same muscle group two days in a row. Our muscles need to recover from the micro injuries we cause when we train, so when working the same group over and over, what you will get is to tire the muscle and increase the possibility of an injury.
- Choose a weight that allows you to work hard, but without being impossible. Many people often work with a weight that they cannot support, which can also lead to injuries. It is also not appropriate to work with the minimum weight, if in the middle of the repetitions you notice how the muscle works and it is a little difficult to perform them, then you are using the appropriate weight.
- As you gain muscle and resistance, you should also increase your weight slightly, otherwise you will not be working the muscle.
- Always, when finishing your routine, dedicate a good time to properly stretch each muscle that has been worked, so it helps your recovery and avoids the uncomfortable muscular pains.
- If you have doubts about an exercise or the correct posture to perform it, it is most convenient to consult a trainer to advise you.
If you want to read similar articles to The best exercises to strengthen your arms, we recommend that you enter our Fitness category.